Institute of Fundamental and Applied Medicine
Department of Cell Technology and Transplantation
Since 2004, the Department of Cell Technologies and Transplants of JSC NNMC has been the only scientific and clinical unit in the Republic of Kazakhstan where high-tech medical care for patients with severe chronic pathology, including socially significant ones, is provided using cell technologies and cell transplants.
Within the framework of high-tech medical care (VTMP) according to code 41.01 (regulated by protocols in the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Kazakhstan), the Center for Cell Technologies and Transplants performs transplantation of autogenous bone marrow stem cells according to the following socially important nosologies: type I and II diabetes mellitus, systemic lupus erythematosus, systemic scleroderma, dilated cardiomyopathy, ischemic cardiomyopathy, multiple sclerosis, myasthenia gravis, primary biliary cholangitis. At the same time, during the use of cell therapy for the treatment of the above severe chronic pathologies, cell therapy has shown high clinical effectiveness in more than 30 thousand patients.
According to code 41.10, fetal cell transplantation is performed for the following nosologies: cirrhosis of the liver in the outcome of viral hepatitis, type I and II diabetes mellitus, neurodegenerative and demyelinating diseases of the central nervous system and spinal injuries, as well as glomerulonephritis, chronic renal failure, secondary nephropathies, rheumatoid arthritis, primary biliary cholangitis. These important and socially significant nosologies are also successfully used on the basis of JSC NNMC and demonstrate a high positive clinical effect, helping about 1,500 thousand patients annually.
The logistical support of stem cell laboratories and the high human potential of biotechnologists and doctors allows us to provide a high level of quality, while providing timely services at every stage of operational, biotechnological and therapeutic measures, from operations – myeloexfusion in the operating unit (bone marrow sampling), biotechnology of isolation and production of bone marrow stem cell fractions, precultivation of autologous and fetal cells (in laminar boxes of class II A biological protection in laboratories of cellular technologies), ending with cell transplantation in the conditions of the cardiological intensive care Unit and specialized departments.
An analysis of the main performance indicators for the provision of high-tech medical care to patients shows an annual increase in the number of cell transplants, 100% fulfillment of production plans. During the cell transplantations, no complications were noted, including during the collection of cellular material. The result of a clear methodological approach and high-quality implementation of organizational algorithms for each stage of the work is a high quality of the procedure, the provision of high-tech medical care, which affects patient satisfaction.
Types of services provided:
1.Transplantation of mesenchymal/hematopoietic stem cells
2.Transplantation of fetal stem cells (hepatocytes, pancreatic cells, neurocytes, chondrocytes, mediators, neurotransmitters, fibroblasts, nephrocytes)
- On June 29, 2011, for the first time in the Republic of Kazakhstan, NNMC JSC successfully performed bone marrow cell transplantation using hematopoietic stem cells to a patient with severe heart pathology – dilated cardiomyopathy.
- On June 17, 2013, for the first time in the Republic of Kazakhstan, a new technique for transplantation of hematopoietic bone marrow stem cells in non-hematopoietic pathology was developed, scientifically substantiated and introduced into clinical practice to provide high-tech medical care.
- Technologies have been developed to increase the bioregulatory activity of bone marrow cells in conditions of chronic pathological stress.
- For the first time in the Republic of Kazakhstan and the CIS, the scientific staff of the Institute of Fundamental and Applied Medicine of JSC NNMC conducted scientific studies of mitochondrial dysfunctions of mononuclear cells in chronic pathology and developed ways to restore energy dysfunctions of cells and increase their regenerative potential.
- The scientific team of JSC NNMC has developed and conducted scientific and technical projects funded by the Ministry of Health and Social Development on the topics: "Innovative technologies in the development of cell transplants and restoration of functional activity of organs and tissues" (2010-2013); "Innovative cellular technologies in regenerative medicine" (2013-2015).
- Within the framework of scientific projects, for the first time in the Republic of Kazakhstan, autologous mononuclear and mesenchymal cells were transplanted with the complex use of immunosuppressive therapy for induction immune therapy.
- For the first time in the Republic of Kazakhstan, researchers have developed and approved clinical protocols for innovative regenerative medicine of socially significant pathologies.
It should be noted that the final report on the implementation of the Scientific and Technical Program of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Kazakhstan: "Transplantation of stem (mesenchymal) cells in regenerative medicine" (2017-2019), carried out by the scientific team of JSC NNMC, by the decision of the National Scientific Council of the Republic of Kazakhstan, scored the highest score among scientific and educational institutions of the Republic of Kazakhstan (2019).
Based on the results of innovative activities, the staff of the Department of Cell Technologies and Transplants annually produce scientific products, including security documents and copyrights for the use of cell technologies in all areas of clinical medicine.
During the work of the Department of Cell Technologies and Transplants, employees have successfully completed more than 5 scientific and technical programs of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Kazakhstan.